Thursday 4 June 2009

1986: The Elusive Brunette Sindy

From the year Sindy was introduced, she had always had a blonde, brunette and often an auburn haired version.
The most elusive of these hair variants are from 1986, or are they?

During my time as a child I always loved blondes and the occasional auburn. My Sister loved the brunettes and that's how we played. When I started back on my Sindy quest in January 2009, I had no idea that a brunette 1986 Sindy ever existed, but after some research I found out she did.
When the 1986 range changed the face of a legend, I for one was captivated. After a year of being distracted by Barbie I returned once again to Sindy.
I got starlight, Ballerina, Funtime, Jazzdance and many more but never a brunette to be seen as I am sure my sister would have got one.

I was checking e- bay a few weeks ago and a I saw a brunette 'Smirky faced' Sindy so I bid and won, That's where my interest started.

For less than £6.00 I won this rather bedraggled lady, the first in my 1986 collection. It was then I started to look for other brunettes in the range. A few Sindy collectors didn't know she existed, however a few had her.

'Thanks To Jill'
The above picture is Jill's beautiful boxed 'Funtime' Sindy, dressed in a 1985 'Trends' outfit that was also used in 1986. She comes with white heels and a white ribbon.

'1985's Trend Version'


The 'Funtime' range was an easy dress range with a new style body, and non moving silky legs to help younger children dress the dolls.


Also that year the 'Disco Magic' Range was released including more hair colours . I had the 3rd girl from the left. I will investigate them for another posting but I think they where released to compete with or compliment that was also released that year.

You may wonder how my Sindy came out after a make over, well here she is...


I have ordered a couple of 86 fashions to dress her in so I will display her fully in the 3 fashions I have bought soon.

Since finding this stunning brunette, she seems to be popping up a lot now on e-bay, hopefully we will see more of this 86 range popping up on e-bay as it is fascinating.
Sindy Our Pedigree Girl Of The 60's has an amazing "Style Book" section from 1986 showing the full range that was issued to toy stores. Sadly no brunettes are shown.

Please contact me with any other information or photo's!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing transformation from the bedraggled little lady I saw!Well done!She looks miles better!

    Shame about the lack of brunettes but some of those fashions are pretty cute!

    Love the pink doubles one with the frilly boa, strange liking for the snow queen blue one and like the Emanuell collection...
    the frilly underwear one, strangely the black dress catches my eye with the bright pink bow seemingly in a strange place and I also like the romance and roses outfit, also like the way the silver skater and ballerina Sindy's are posed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, There are a lot I like too. I won a nudie Jazzdance last night for £4.00 and she looks pretty new hair wise.
    I am watching that nice pink outfit with the fluffy boa so maybe, just maybe you may see it here soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on winning Jazzdance!You'll have to spruce her up and find her some clothes!Fingers crossed on the pink outfit!; ) x

    ReplyDelete